Friday, September 28, 2007

Marti, Bacardi, and Gaudi Tour 2007

9-27
2:45PM
Kusadasi, Turkey

Kusadasi is the gateway to Ephesus (which as we all know is an important archeological site--ahem_). Kusadasi is a thoroughly charming port guarded by a small island fortress at the mouth of the harbor. Tomorrow we tour Ephesus. Today we almost bought Turkey. The town center is only 1000 yards from the pier and it is a grand bazaar of leather, jewelry, cashmere, handmade Turkish carpets (the best in the world) with prices beginning at the cost of a new economy vehicle, and junk. These traders (and they have apparently been honing their craft for about 3000 years) are your instant best friends, revelling in the opportunity to lighten your load even as they "give you the best deal in the land; almost no profit, really, but you are my first customer of the day and we believe it is good luck to make the first sale, so we almost give this to you".
As one young lady outside a jewelry store said to Jane, "Come in. I can take your money here."
They met their match in Janey, though, and after the best of efforts by determined experts from three jewelry stores stores she escaped with her bankroll intact. I was less resolute. I hope all of you like sandstone Turkish amulets. You are each getting one for Christmas. I had the good fortune to meet Jusef and Otto and Hakim, all of whom separated me from my money. Jane did succumb, though, to the blandishments of a fellow who sold her a "genuine fake" Rolex, which of course is far superior to the "fake fake" Rolexes available in many shops.
I forgot to tell you about Jane's hamburger in Athens. We stopped at an outdoor cafe in Plaka (the old city shopping district filled entirely with junk no self respecting gypsy would steal). She took one bite of her burger, pulled the slab from between the buns and thrust it toward me.
"Taste this."
Ever notice how somebody stunned by a horrific odor will thrust the reeking thing at you and command, "Smell this."?
I took a bite. Even well prepared dog is not that great, but poorly prepared dog really sucks. I think it was black lab, but I can't be sure. It may have been golden retriever.
Buona Sera. Te amo.

No comments: